For every connection to an M-Lab server, the Traceroute core service collects network path information from our server back to the client IP that initiated the connection. M-Lab uses the Scamper traceroute tool provided by the Center for Applied Internet Data Analysis, CAIDA. The Scamper Traceroute tool has been in use by M-Lab since the fourth quarter of 2019 (Q42019). Prior to Q42019, M-Lab used the Paris Traceroute tool for this core service.
Citing the M-Lab Traceroute Dataset
Please cite this data set as follows: The M-Lab Traceroute Data Set, <date range used>. https://measurementlab.net/tests/traceroute
Traceroute Data in Raw Format
Data collected by Traceroute is available in raw format in Google Cloud Storage for each hosted measurement service:
- M-Lab Host Server - https://console.cloud.google.com/storage/browser/archive-measurement-lab/host/traceroute/
- NDT - https://console.cloud.google.com/storage/browser/archive-measurement-lab/ndt/traceroute/
- Neubot - https://console.cloud.google.com/storage/browser/archive-measurement-lab/neubot/traceroute/?project=measurement-lab
- WeHe- https://console.cloud.google.com/storage/browser/archive-measurement-lab/wehe/traceroute/?project=measurement-lab
Traceroute Data in BigQuery
M-Lab parses all Traceroute data into BigQuery tables and views, and makes query access available for free by subscription to a Google Group. Find out more about how to get access on our BigQuery QuickStart page.
BigQuery Tables/Views/Schema(s) for Traceroute Data:
- M-Lab Host Server Traceroute data - measurement-lab.aggregate.traceroute
- NDT Traceroute data - measurement-lab.ndt.traceroute
The table below describes the fields in: