M-Lab Project Director
The M-Lab project director is responsible for managing the Measurement Lab project at Code for Science & Society (CS&S). This involves managing the program work and staff, fundraising as needed for programmatic activities, overseeing the governance of the open source project in coordination with the various committees and the leads from the partner organizations to manage the broader M-Lab project. The Project Director reports to the Code for Science & Society Advisory Committee.
Call for Applicants
Are you looking to work with a dynamic interdisciplinary, multi-organization team on a project to measure and improve Internet performance around the world? Are you motivated to make the web open? Do you love working with open data and working with a team to ask big questions? Do you love helping things run smoothly? Organizing information? Managing projects? Facilitating team communication? Sorting out logistics? Then we need you! Come help a small multi-organizational, distributed team work better together to help keep the Internet open!
Measurement Lab (M-Lab) is the largest open Internet measurement platform in the world, hosting Internet-scale measurement experiments and releasing all data into the public domain (CC0). M-Lab advances network research and empowers the public with useful information about broadband and mobile connections, enhancing Internet transparency, and helping to promote and sustain a healthy, innovative Internet. Read more about the project at https://www.measurementlab.net or explore the data on https://viz.measurementlab.net.
M-Lab is a consortium of research, industry, and public interest partners focused on fostering, collecting, and publishing open Internet data led by teams based at Code for Science & Society, New America’s Open Technology Institute, Google, and Princeton University. We collaborate with organizations all over the world to build out the Internet measurement platform, do research and data studies, inform policy work with regulators, policymakers, and advocacy organizations.
We are looking for someone with an entrepreneurial spirit to provide program management and leadership for the M-Lab team. The Program Director will help with everything from strategic planning, cross-org collaboration, day-to-day tasks, hiring processes, fundraising, and overall program design and management.
Overall management and oversight of deliverables, time-tables, and budget allocation for projects
- Managing devops personnel and projects
- Troubleshooting problems that lie at the nexus of technology and people
- Participation and leadership in project group meetings
- Maintain detailed overview of all project work streams and manage a coherent integration into overall program strategy
- Liaise between all teams and the project governance committees
- Facilitate the work of the project teams by accelerating decision-making needed from the committees
- Support and guide fundraising for technology work-streams
- Oversee search and hiring processes
- Manage, encourage, and facilitate cross-org collaboration
- Participate in Leadership Committee and appropriate working groups to facilitate annual planning and strategy
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- A hands-on attitude towards new technology and systems
- Extremely detail oriented, thorough, and organized
- Ability to interact with all levels of employees; strong collaboration and interpersonal skills; ability to work well within a team
- Excellent time and project management skills, flexibility to adjust to changing deadlines
- Ability to problem solve under pressure and anticipate needs
Details of the position
- Measurement Lab is a fiscally sponsored project of Code for Science & Society, which offers employee benefits through TriNet including health insurance and retirement
- The team is distributed across the US and Europe, so while this position can be based anywhere, the candidate should be able to easily collaborate with Central European, US Eastern and Pacific time zones
- Travel to conferences, events, and team meetings is anticipated to be 20%
Submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We highly recommend including links to projects you’ve been involved in, including documentation and/or code samples with your application (you can link to GitHub or add an attachment to the application).
We are hoping to hire as soon as possible, and are interviewing candidates on a rolling basis. Apply now!
CS&S is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our clientele, our employees and our communities. We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and drive outstanding results. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.